Friday, January 6, 2012

Count your blessings AND your trials

We are all probably familiar with the hymn "Count Your Blessings", but do we actually adhere to that when we need to?   In January 2000, my family was in the process of a move.  Most of our worldly possessions were packed on a huge moving truck and in storage somewhere in Virginia.  Meanwhile, 6 hours away in Ohio, my husband , myself & our two young children lived in an extremely small apartment with a Murphy bed ( a bed that folded up into the wall ) and a couch where we took turns sleeping.  It was a damp, cold apartment and the laundry area was 3 flights downstairs.  The dryers did not work well, so I would bring my damp clothes and hang them all over in the apartment to dry.  This also involved ironing the clothes, which I'm not too fond of doing.  We were cramped, to say the least.  New Years Day 2000 seemed to be a bright sunny day, and I folded up the Murphy bed so the kids could have more room that day.  They both began to dance around the room, and our 4 year old daughter danced until she was dizzy and she fell on the floor hitting her arm on the coffee table in the process.  She cried and cried about this arm, and I felt she was probably tired and needed a nap.  When she woke from her nap, she started crying again.  Needless to say, we took her to the ER that evening as she had definitely broken that arm.  The home we were wanting to buy had an issue because the previous owner had built a huge attached garage.....but part of the garage was not considered on the property, but rather on a "right of way".  We had to wait for the county commissioners to vote for this situation at their next meeting.  We weren't positive how this vote would go.  Our storage truck would only hold our things for 30 days, if I remember correctly and after that time we would have to pay $100 a day.  Moving can be expensive, so we didn't have extra money to pay for that expense.  Things were getting stressful & tense.  I remember that I was trying to trust God in the entire situation, but my worry meter was quite high.  I couldn't sleep at night.....which says a lot as I am a  blessed  person to be able to fall asleep easily and sleep well.  One night I quietly got up while the rest of the family slept soundly, and I began to "count my blessings".  I needed to see them written down, one by one.  Certainly, according to the famous hymn, I was surprised that all the Lord had done!   He was supplying our needs---maybe not all of our wants---but He definitely was supplying all that we needed. Most importantly, our family was together and I learned that the change in my attitude was contagious. There's a saying "If momma ain't happy, then nobody is happy" was quite true at that point.   We just had to trust that He was going to work the rest out in His perfect timing.  The outcome was that was exactly what happened. The county commissioners passed the right of way for the garage and we were able to get our things moved into the house from the moving truck just in time that we didn't need to pay extra.  That was 12 years ago, and I've since learned that while counting blessings is good, we must also consider our trials as blessings as well. 
James 2:4 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations. Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."   Notice, James doesn't say IF we face trials, but WHEN we face them.  Difficult times are the times when we learn the most.  If we lived every day of our lives having all that we wanted & needed & never had a problem, we would not mature & grow.   When I meet a strong Christian nowadays, I realize that they didn't become that person by having an easy, worry free life.  That strong Christian has a story to tell.  They have been through some difficult times and learned to trust the One who could help them in their trials.  I know from experience that it only makes me love Him more!
O Heavenly Father, today I thank you for not just the good things You do in my life, but for the trials & heartaches too.  I know that as a parent, I want to protect my children from harm, just as You want to protect us from harm as well.  Sometimes, we have to learn from experience and You allow us to go through those painful times.  It's such a comfort knowing that as my Father, You are my Comforter and Provider every step of the way.  Thank You for the wisdom that You give so freely. Thank You that we can have a relationship with You that is so personal and we can be ourselves.  Thank You for the blessings that You have for us on this earth, but most importantly, for the eternal blessings!  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment