Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A joy AND a pain

Growing in Christ can be a joy and a pain.  Obviously, we receive joy because we are becoming more like Christ, understanding God's ways better and putting our own ways behind us.  Oh, but the pain! The pain of change. The heart breaking pain.  We are often afraid of change because we are comfortable with the way things are right now, or we have a fear of the unknown.  We are not promised a guarantee that the situation will work out the way WE WANT.  We must remember that God's ways are always best.  I've never been disappointed in His plans.   I've read stories & heard stories when other people go through situations that seem unbearable.  When we read the wonderful lessons of many Biblical people, the Bible doesn't always go into detail on the thoughts & feelings those people experienced.  The truth is that our trials will change us.  We can either grow better or bitter.  How many times have we heard of another person's terrible stories and we are amazed at their strength & courage because we may think that if we went through that same situation, we would fall apart?  In our weakness , we are made strong in Christ.  HE ALONE is the source of our strength!  In fact, at my church, Thomas Road Baptist Church, the words, "Not I, But Christ", are highlighted on the back wall behind our choir on Sunday mornings.  Our pastor, Jonathan Falwell, said that when his dad Jerry Falwell, passed away 5 years ago, Jonathan began to think about how he could not continue on following in  his dad's footsteps in the pastoring of the church.  His inspiration was the words--"Not I, but Christ".  Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."   There are a number of examples of personal trials I could share here.  I have had a number of times in my life where I poured more into a relationship than the other person.  In my own flesh, I would have given up on these relationships.  It is tiring & draining to be the only one communicating when another person seems to be shutting you out.  I would have definitely given up and said obviously this person(s) does not want me to be a part of their life anymore.  But, because I loved God with all my heart and I knew that God loved this person too, I did not give up.  It was painful to feel rejection.  I never knew if that person would ever come around to communicating with me anymore.  I just knew that when I meet God one day, He could not be disappointed because I gave up trying.   So, I encourage any friend reading this (including myself) to keep pressing on toward the high calling God has for each of us.  Even through the pain you may be going through, keep working through it and asking God daily for the strength to do what He desires of us.  
1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings, that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."

Dear Heavenly Father,
I love You and adore You.  When there is no one I can trust, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can completely trust You.  Thank you for providing so generously for me and my family.  Thank you for loving us unconditionally.  May your Holy Spirit work in the lives of every member of my immediate and extended family, my friends & loved ones, and all the read this devotion.  Change my heart, O God!  Make it ever new!  Change my heart, O God! May I be like You!   You know my downsitting & my uprising and are aquainted with all my ways. (Psalm 139:2-3)  I long to hear You say "Well done my good & faithful servant!"   In the precious name of Jesus, I pray. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment