Monday, July 16, 2012

Setting goals & changing habits........this sounds like a topic for a New Year's Resolution.  It's really the story of my life.  I feel like I can never get out of my bad habits & permanently adopt new ones....healthier eating, daily exercise and of course daily Bible study & prayer.  But, I was inspired this morning to read that our church's Women's Ministry Leader & a few others are doing a 21 day challenge and I thought that was perfect for me to do too!   My Sunday School teacher, Dr. Elmer Towns, even spoke on setting goals yesterday--the short term & the long term goals.  He used Joshua & the Israelites as example in Joshua 1:10-11 "And Joshua commanded the leaders of Israel, 'Go tell the people to prepare food and get everything else ready because in 3 days (short term goal) we will cross the Jordan River and take possession of the land God has given to us." (long term goal).    
 Here's some reminders on our goals.
Our Short Term Goals:
1. Walking in obedient fellowship gives us confidence. "If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:7
2. Grow through the scriptures. "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105
3. Practice all kinds of prayer, worship, communion, fellowship, request, intercession for others, thanksgiving, and fasting.
4. Share your faith with others.
5. Know the enemy and principles of spiritual warfare.
6. Be spiritually victorious. "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of His knowledge by us in every place." 2 Corinthians 2:14

Our Long Term Goals:
1. Find and follow God's plan for your life. Romans 12:1-2
2. Write out spiritual and natural goals
3. Grow in personal discipline and effective service.
4. Expect opposition and trials (James 1:2-4)
5. Finish well! 

Why are goals important?  They challenge us to press ahead and do better, to change.  As believers, that is exactly what we need to be doing every day.  We need to continue growing in Christ, doing better, and changing to be more like Him.  We know that we will never reach perfection and be completely Christlike in all our ways.  This is not to discourage us.  It is actually a relief to know that I do not have to be perfect for God to love me & accept me into His family.  I simply know that the greatest blessings & even wisdom is found through obedience.  God doesn't tell us to be obedient when we "feel" like it, or when it seems right in our own eyes.  We are to always be obedient, even when we don't "feel" like it.  As Romans 12 speaks of running a race and finishing well.........that is exactly what I want to do.  It is a challenge for sure.  My body, my personal desires are to do my own thing.   Lord, forgive me and give me the strength & perseverence to make every day & every moment count for You!   21 days.......I CAN do it through Christ---who gives ME strength! 

Lord, I thank you for loving me more than any person could ever love me.  May my thoughts be 24/7 towards You.  Consume me from the inside out.  May I think of You as I am making food choices, may I think of You as I purposely choose to exercise my body that is Your temple, and may I think of You as I pray & talk to you continually about concerns & requests, just as we talk to a best friend & tell them our innermost thoughts.  I pray for Lisa, Cheryl & Lynn who are also on this 21 Day Commitment that You are speaking to them & encouraging them & strengthening them in body, mind & spirit.  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment