Thursday, April 5, 2012

Come on! Let's edify someone today!

 

1 Thessalonians 5:11

 "Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing."

When was the last time that you edified someone or someone edified you?  Would you even like to be edified?  It's not a word that we typically use today, so perhaps I will explain the definition.   
EDIFY: to build up, strengthen a person, instruct or improve spiritually. 
My first thought is that the Bible is the greatest edification we have!  Nothing compares to it!  God's Word provides so much wisdom and definitely builds us up, strengthens us , instructs and helps us grow spiritually!
A comparable word more common today would be "encourage".  However, to encourage is actually a little different. 
ENCOURAGE:to inspire with courage or confidence. 
I'm very glad I looked these two words up because edifying seems to be the same as encouraging, but perhaps goes a little deeper.....because we are to lift up others in Christ.  It's definitely a Biblical term.  It would be true to say that we can encourage others without edifying them.  How interesting.  As a follower of Christ, I want to edify, and I hope you want to do that too!

If you read the passages preceding 1 Thessalonians 5:11, such as verses 1-11, and understand that Paul was giving a description on the Day of the Lord and how He will come as a thief in the night.  The reason we are to "edify" one another is because we need to be lifting up other believers to walk close to the Lord and be ready for His return.  The idea is that we must take advantage of every opportunity to serve Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:16 "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil")  How true!  Jesus paid the price for my sins and your sins, and when I give Him my life, the least I can do is give Him my time & talents.  There are opportunities every day to serve the Lord, witness for Christ, to be a channel of blessing and advance the cause of Christ.  How many times do we waste precious moments because we choose to do our own thing?  We either don't want to spend the time edifying another person, or we want to focus on our problems, or Satan has us "busy" doing other things that are of little importance.  I'm definitely speaking to myself here!  If no one reads my blog, I pray that God will transform my heart to get busy doing the best things for Him.  Why should I want to read that magazine that tells of current movies & TV shows and what's going on with celebrities?  Does it matter that I've played an hour or more of "games" on my computer or ipod?  There are many time wasters in a day and many excuses.  I am guilty.   I hope I'm not getting too far off track, but a dear friend shared with me something she heard a pastor say that really changed her way of thinking.   The pastor asked if people could think back and remember their 3rd grade picture.  You may be trying hard to remember........what did you wear?  What was the background in the picture?  You might say, I think I was wearing a blue shirt.  No.  Maybe it was green.  Maybe there were trees in the background.   Well, my friends, one day we will be in Heaven.  We may be talking to each other and say something like, "Do you remember when we lived on Earth?  What was that like? Can you remember our time on Earth?  I think such & such happened."    Friends.....this life is like a vapor.  The things we get caught up in now are not of much importance as we think.  We need to examine if the things that occupy our time are really worth it?  There are souls that need to be reached.  People are hurting and they definitely need our EDIFYING!  Do you have a phone?  Make some phone calls & lift up people and let them know they are important.  Encourage them to get into God's Word which certainly edifies!  Do you have a computer?  Send emails.  I remember when we first got email and we were writing letters to friends & family.  It was great to hear from people and be encouraged.  I know stamps are getting costly, but it sure does mean A LOT to get a good old fashioned letter in the mail!  When I take the time to do that, I am so excited thinking about the other person getting a hand-written letter!  There's no doubt that is a blessing for both!  
I may be going out on a limb here.  This is very much out of my comfort zone to say this.  I am not a person that likes to hurt another with my words, if I can help it.  But, upon further studying of the many verses on edification, I would even say that edifying would include telling another believer if you see they are doing something or having an attitude that is in contrast to God's Word.....yeah.....that would be a little something we call sin.  The fine line with that is that the Bible also tells us not to be judges of one another, because we all sin.  Remember Jesus saying  in John 8:7 that " He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."  In that example, this woman was being judged for her sins and about to be killed.  I've always felt that I shouldn't say something to another person in regard to their sin, because I am a sinner too, and I have no right to point out their faults when I have my own.  However, going back to edification in the body of believers, in Ephesians 4 talks about the conduct of the church---the body of believers.  If you read these verses, it tells us how to treat one another, "walking worthy of the vocation wherewith we are called, with all lowliness & meekness, longsuffering, forbearing one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  In verse 11, Paul talks of the spiritual gifts that God gave to us and the purpose of the gifts in verse 12 " For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ....."  There is more to that, but in verse 15 "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ."  This entire passage speaks of the body of Christ and our role that we need to be lifting each other up and doing our part.  Sad to say, but we aren't always doing that.  Once again, I am guilty.  Friends, this isn't just people in our own church that we need to be edifying---but ALL believers.  And, we are to speak the truth in love.  Yes, I know that not everyone handles the truth very well.  I am guilty of that too.  But, I have been "called out" before and others brought my actions & attitude to my awareness, and although I did not like it at the time, I examined my ways and realized I was at fault and changed.   Speaking the truth in love is vital.  We can really hurt people with our words, coming across very judgmental, so this definitely needs to be prayed about if you are edifying another believer bringing to attention their faults in the body of Christ.  I just finished my ladies Bible study at church where we studied the book of James.  I feel that James was a man that didn't beat around the bush and he got to the point and told it like he saw it.  The first two chapters of James, he wrote in general like he was giving words of wisdom for others, often saying ye or you--depending on which Bible translation you read.  However in chapter 3 when James talks about controlling the tongue, he seems to add himself referring to "we".  Sounds like James had to work on the issue on "speaking truth to one another"!  It is a fine line knowing what to say and when to say it. We must pray for discernment and ask God to give us the right words.  Wow.  If we prayed before we spoke, our speech would have power behind our words!   We are living in days where there is so much criticism of each other---on the internet, on talk radio, on television, in newspapers, in our homes........  Let us make a change and lift up, encourage and  edify one another.  It will cost you.  To do so will take your time, but you will reap rewards and blessings that will make it worth the cost. 

Lord,
I love You and want You to know how grateful I am for Your Word.  I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.  I thank You for speaking to my heart today and opening my eyes to study edification.  Thank You Lord for edifying me!  Forgive me when I do not use my time wisely, when I do not spend a single day opening the Bible and hearing from You. Help me Lord to know the things that are important to do, and the things that are a waste of my time.   Every day, I need to open this wonderful book and study and learn that I may grow.   May everything I do bring glory to You---the words I speak, the thoughts I think, the places I go.  Help me to to be an encouragement to others.I pray for my friends & family that they will desire to walk closer to You and we will all edify one another in the beautiful body of Christ.  
In Jesus' name, AMEN 

EXTRA: If you would like to read more on edifying, here are some verses. Read them in full context; meaning that you should read entire passages to see exactly what the meaning is behind that particular point of edification.
Romans 14:19 "1Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may EDIFY another.
Romans 15:2 "Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to EDIFICATION."
1 Corinthians 8:1 "Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity EDIFIETH."
I Corinthians 14:3-4 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to EDIFICATION, and exhortation, and comfort.He that speaketh in an unknown tongue EDIFIETH himself; but he that prophesieth EDIFIETH the church."
1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things EDIFY not."
Ephesians 4:12 "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the EDIFYING of the body of Christ"
2 Corinthians 10:8 "For though I should boast somewhat more of our authority, which the Lord hath given us for EDIFICATION, and not for your destruction, I should not be ashamed."
2 Corinthians 13:10 "Therefore I write these things being absent, lest being present I should use sharpness, according to the power which the Lord hath given me to EDIFICATION, and not to destruction.
1 Timothy 1:4 "Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly EDIFYING which is in faith: so do."

1 comment:

  1. Pretty awesome!! Thanks for putting it on my wall so I'd see it.

    ReplyDelete