Friday, March 2, 2012

Getting to the heart

I'm just loving this Beth Moore Bible study on the book of James!  Oh how I wish I could bring all of my friends & family to Bible study.....or better yet, just sit & talk as a group or even one on one with a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or glass of iced tea.    I take the time to share what I am learning with you, because I want God to work in your life and help you to fall in love with Him. The following are 9 questions to give you introspection into your life. Perhaps you could write them on a separate sheet of paper to see your answers.

1. What is the biggest battle you have going on inside of you?
2. How long has it been going on?
3.The whole idea of battle implies that several different sides of the situation (for example, options, feelings or conflicts) are clamoring against one another inside of you. If you are the uneasy home to an internal wrestling match right now, try to describe the sides at war.
4. We each have internal, unspoken conflicts with any number of people, but most of us have a few people in our life with whom we actually engage in external conflict or quarreling. Who are those people for you?
5. Now, switch tracks with me for a moment. What is something you've wanted for a long while that you do not have?
6. Do you know someone who has this thing, situation, or relationship that you've longed for? If so, who? Keep in mind that naming the person doesn't automatically mean you envy them. What we're establishing right now is whether or not your deep longing is a sustainable reality on this Earth. That said, who possesses what you really long for?
7. Have you consistently and earnestly asked God for this thing, situation or relationship? If so, name a couple of reasons why you think you haven't received it.
8. Can you identify any link between the person or people with whom you are most prone to quarrel and something you want but do not have? If so, what?
9. Has anything good or beneficial come to you or to others as a result of your lack (whatever you wrote in question #5)? If so, list every bit of fruit you can identify or even remotely discern.

These questions were actually derived from God's Word!
James 4:1-3 New KJV "Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet[a] you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

Now, reading James 4:1-3 in the Message "1-2Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.
2-3You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way.

Before this Bible study on the book of James (as taught by Beth Moore), I had read those verses and never felt they applied to me, because I had no desire to "kill" anyone or risk "violence" to get my hands on something I did not have. However, not having something that I want, does put me in a discontent place and cause me to perhaps feel bitter at times or resentful. Just plain old unhappy with myself. I realized after answering these questions that I have not been consistently giving this to the Lord and asking for His help. I also realized that because of my situation, I have a lot of fruit and the gain of God's fruit was much more profitable than the thing/situation that I desire in question #5. Perhaps now with this insight, I am ready to pursue on the path God has for me, rather than fight it on my own.

Dear Lord.....as always, You are wonderful!  Today I lift up my dear friends that desire to get to the heart of their issues they deal with.  Many of us are in personal battles practically our entire life.  Lord, we give this to You, on a day after day basis.  Give us wisdom and the desire to obey You and trust You wholeheartedly that we will focus on bearing fruit for You rather than wasting our time with consuming thoughts of what we do not have.  We have been given much and have all that we need.  May we be doers of the Word and not hearers only! Thank you Lord for what You are going to do in my life and the lives of my precious friends & family that I lift up to You! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment